recent LIS grads – smarten up!January 13, 2008
had some interesting chats with library muckety-mucks over the holidays, trying to figure out what people are looking for from recent LIS graduates.
from what i can tell it all boils down to one thing: professionalism.
- don’t send in a 1 page c.v.
- in your letter of application, make links between what the job is looking for and how you can meet those needs.
- don’t dress like a schlub at the interview.
- if you’re not interested in teaching, you better be interested in cataloguing.
- have something to say about current practice at the organization – or the very least about their website! (and not “it’s great – i wouldn’t change a thing!”)
this all sounds very basic but of the three muckety-mucks i spoke to, all mentioned that recent grads don’t seem to get that they are now starting their career, not another part-time “who cares?” gig, and should present themselves as such.